Authority Node Operators (ANOs) are the block validators of the Factom Protocol and Candidates are those companies trying to prove their worth to the ecosystem in an attempt to get promoted to ANO via the ANO Standing System. In return for providing the servers to decentralize the protocol and furthering the protocol in whatever way they see fit, ANOs are compensated 2,246 FCT per month minus efficiency.
An ANO’s “efficiency” is the percentage of FCT they set to forego receiving from the protocol as they don’t need it to operate because they are so “efficient”. This FCT instead goes into the Factom grant pool. You can see the current ANO efficiency rates here. What this means is that if you’re at ANO at 40% efficiency, the total amount of FCT you receive per month is 1,347.6 (2,246 x 60% = 1,347.6).
Any company can become a Candidate ANO, the hard part is proving your worth to the ecosystem so that Standing Parties (ANOs and Guides) vote to make you an ANO.
– Candidates must get above 25% Standing within 6 months of their initial application or they are removed from the system.
– If a Candidate reaches 60% Standing, are higher than any other Candidate, and an ANO slot opens up, they are promoted to ANO. If no ANO slot opens up, they remain a Candidate.
– Any Candidate that reaches 90% or higher Standing is automatically promoted to the Authority Set whether a slot is open or not.
How to Apply
You will apply via this link. As part of that process, we suggest that you first:
- Familiarize yourself with the ANO Standing Dashboard which you will be listed on as a Candidate.
- Spin up a testnet server so you can learn factomd and get an idea of what running an Authority Server requires.
- Be sure to familiarize yourself with the ANO Expectations Document.
- Begin to form a campaign strategy and determine what sort of ANO you will be. The existing ANOs and their teams can be seen here.
- Join Discord and our Governance forum. Engage with the community.
- It is suggested that you become acquainted with how our governance process works. You can educate yourself here.
- Apply and work hard to build Standing by proving your value to the ecosystem. Share those contributions with the Standing Parties.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q. Do ANOs have to be a company?
A. Yes. Authority Node Operators must be companies, not individuals or sole proprietorship. It is ok to not be incorporated during the application process, but it is expected that you will do so very quickly after a successful election bid.
Q. How are ANOs removed from the Authority Set?
Q. Can I see the question and answer portion of past ANO elections prior to the ANO Standing System being released?
** Last updated February 9th, 2020.