Funded [Who-6] Core and General Development

Grant round: Grant Round 2020-02

Total Grant Pool: 119,000.00 FCT
Status
Not open for further replies.
Executive Summary
I will commit myself to work 28 hours a week to continue developing for the Factom protocol and Factom protocol related projects, such as the new P2P2 library, PegNeT, and a variety of debugging tools, as well as provide support for other developers and community members in discord, and improving the existing codebase.

Update 1: (Lowered from 40 hours / 20k FCT to 28 hours / 12k)

Previous Grants

Team Member or Entity Forum Username
User: Who
FCT address: FA3WALLETKpcjeneRfQiX8Gv5vQDSugmDTomfc8uahvVgoUiqX3o
FCT: 12000

Total FCT Requested

Start Date
2020-06-01

Completion Date
2020-08-31

Project Description
Factomd is a complex piece of software with many aspects that still need to be improved, fixed, or added. With the recent downturn of Inc. and other ANOs (including Factomize), it's more important than ever to have enough core developers to facilitate projects that secure a future for the protocol, such as PegNet or the ETH Gateway. I now have 1.5 years worth of experience with factomd and am well-positioned to aid in that effort.

Under a general core development grant, I can effectively contribute where necessary, including time-sensitive work or useful tools that would not merit their own grant.

Problem Statement
The Factom Protocol needs proven developers so it can continue to grow.

Goals and Objectives
  • Ensure the P2P2 library is ready for integration and compatible with current needs
  • Benchmark, test, and audit existing code
  • Refactor parts of factomd
  • Track down and fix bugs in factomd
  • Provide support for other developers via discord
  • Contribute to community discussions by answering technical inquiries
  • Write blog posts
  • Continue to be part of the core committee

Success Criteria
  • Community presence in discord and the forum
  • Adequate amount of pull requests or releases on GitHub
  • At least two blog posts published

Timelines and Milestones
I will be providing twice-monthly updates on my progress in the grant thread to keep the community appraised of my work

Budget
I am asking 12,000 FCT at 1.8 USD ($21,600 USD)

Assumed Price Per FCT
$1.8

Competition
My aim isn't to compete with others but to cooperate.

Additional Information
I'm aware that grants round are tough and sentiment is not in favor of more core grants at the moment, however I hope that I have proven myself to be an invaluable asset to the protocol. I'd like to continue to work full time but if need be, I may reduce the ask and work part time.

Indemnification and Waiver
By submitting a grant proposal or participating in the grant proposal process, the submitter hereby agrees to release, waive, discharge the Guides, Authority Set Members, Standing Parties, and their respective employees, contractors, agents, representatives, successors, and assigns (collectively, the “Releasees”) from any and all liabilities, claims, and demands of whatever kind of nature, either in law or in equity, which arise or may hereafter arise from participating in the grant proposal process, except for those caused by the willful misconduct or intentional torts of the Releasees. The submitter further agrees to indemnify and hold harmless the Releasees against all liabilities, obligations, losses, damages, penalties, claims, actions, judgments, costs, or expenses which may be imposed on, asserted against or incurred by any Releasee as a result of, or arising out of, or relating to this grant process contemplated by this document, including without limitation, any judgment, settlement, attorneys’ fees and other costs or expenses incurred in connection with the defense of any actual or threatened action or proceeding, except for the liabilities caused by the willful misconduct or intentional torts of the Releasees.
The submitter warrants and represents that he or she has all necessary power and authority to represent all applicants contained in the grant proposal: (i) to submit the proposal and (ii) to agree to this Indemnification and Waiver.
Note: Please see the Factom governance document (Doc 001) for definitions of Guides, Authority Set Members, and Standing Parties. Grant proposals submitted in another format shall include this indemnification and waiver in its entirety.

Last edited:

Chappie

Factomize Bot
The Forum Q/A process has now started. The community may ask questions until May 12, 2020 at 23:59 UTC.

Other important dates:
  • After the question period ends on May 12, 2020 at 23:59 UTC, you may continue to answer last minute questions until May 13, 2020 at 23:59 UTC
  • Once the answer period ends, voting will start one minute later on May 14, 2020 at 00:00 UTC
  • Voting will be closed on May 16, 2020 at 23:59 UTC and the final results will immediately become available.

@Who do you suppose to work on PegNet core too, and if yes, in what proportion will your work be split between Factom and PegNet?
That's hard to answer for certain, since PegNet is by far Factom's biggest application by volume, and Factom tokenholders can convert FCT to pFCT, so it's mutually beneficial. That's the reason I got involved with PegNet in the first place; at the time it was seen as a new path for ANOs to liquidate assets. Recently, PegNet has been pretty much running itself and they are starting to onboard their own developers. It's been a while since I made an active contribution to the PegNet codebase (January, I believe), most of my work has just been theorycrafting pips and code review.

In 2020, the ratio has been roughly 90% Factom and 10% PegNet. I don't see that changing dramatically over the coming months.

We have two pure core development grants this round. Each is essentially 1 FTE. Yours, however, is twice as expensive as the other. Considering the very limited size of the current grant round, where some parties may feel they need to choose between the two, what in your view justifies your bigger ask?
I have thought about this a lot myself in the previous weeks, trying to decide on what to do after Factomize's furloughing. The blunt answer is that that's how much I'd like to receive for my work: I have extensive knowledge of the protocol and the skill set to produce work of quality meets the asking price.

I enjoy working on the protocol and would like to continue do so. I see this more as a negotiation between myself and the community. Ideally I'd like to end up somewhere that all parties involved are more or less satisfied.

Thanks for the straight-forward answer.

I think overall the community feels they're getting their money's worth from your grants. I'd personally like to see the ask a bit lower, but that's just me.

That has nothing to do with this grant or you in particular, but more with an eye to how much longer we can keep this up. Dev salaries stay mostly fixed while the grant pool increasingly gets lower. If it stays that way, we'll eventually lose you and no one wants that.

Nonetheless, Factoshi will rank this grant very high.

Reactions: Who
Fully support this grant. Hope all grantees will liquidate with eye for the token situation. But that is a comment in general. It's becoming really an increasingly tough situation grant after grantround.

Reactions: Who
I do agree that you have accumulated tremendous knowledge of the protocol and done important work in the past for the community. However, I believe we are in a better place in regards to core dev at this time and given scarce resources I’m willing to assume more risk and prefer to de-emphasize (even if its temporary) community resources spent on core dev.

IMO, my preference would be to:
-Reduce your planned work by 50%
-Reduce your grant fct total by 50%

This way you could maintain your preferred compensation, still provide value-adding improvements to the protocol, while also at the same time allowing the community more flexibility in its investments. Thoughts?

I do agree that you have accumulated tremendous knowledge of the protocol and done important work in the past for the community. However, I believe we are in a better place in regards to core dev at this time and given scarce resources I’m willing to assume more risk and prefer to de-emphasize (even if its temporary) community resources spent on core dev.

IMO, my preference would be to:
-Reduce your planned work by 50%
-Reduce your grant fct total by 50%

This way you could maintain your preferred compensation, still provide value-adding improvements to the protocol, while also at the same time allowing the community more flexibility in its investments. Thoughts?
Who has made a very reasonable ask of the community, and that is that he would like to contribute to the protocol full time. He has demonstrated the value of his contributions. I firmly support the value of having fully supported, high quality developers in the ecosystem, even under the pressure of the token price.

Part time development is a great way to lose our development resources. Maybe it is a career in development that makes me sensitive to this issue, but losing institutional knowledge by cutting your best developers is massively damaging to a product or project.

After much reflection over the weekend, I am lowering the ask from 20,000 to 12,000 and cutting the hours from 40 hours to 28 (3.5 days). This decision was a combination of a) bringing the ask inline with other development efforts currently being proposed b) allowing the proposals I'd like to see funded be funded, and c) the current uncertainty in the FCT and BTC market, especially with the halving coming up.

Thank you everyone who has voiced their support already.

Chappie

Factomize Bot
This is a final warning that the community has just 24 hours from now to ask any last minute questions.

Other important dates:
  • After the question period ends on May 12, 2020 at 23:59 UTC, you may continue to answer last minute questions until May 13, 2020 at 23:59 UTC
  • Once the answer period ends, voting will start one minute later on May 14, 2020 at 00:00 UTC
  • Voting will be closed on May 16, 2020 at 23:59 UTC and the results will immediately become available.

Chappie

Factomize Bot
The Forum Question Period has now ended. Teams will have until May 13, 2020 at 23:59 UTC to answer any last-minute questions.

Other important dates:
  • Voting will be closed on May 16, 2020 at 23:59 UTC and the results will immediately become available.

Chappie

Factomize Bot
The Answer Period has now ended and Standing Parties may now vote.

Voting will be closed on May 16, 2020 at 23:59 UTC and the final results will immediately become available.

Instructions for Standing Parties:
  • You may vote in any thread or on this page. The ranks are mirrored once you save.
  • Drag and drop using the three-lined icon at the left of the grant proposal and hit "Save" when done.
  • If you change rankings and leave the page without saving, those changes will be reversed and not count.
  • You may change your vote as many times as you like prior to the vote being closed.
  • If you "Abstain" that means your vote won't be counted no matter what you ranked that proposal.
  • If you deselect "Approve" how you rank the grant matters, but 60% of voters must approve the grant for it to be funded.

Status
Not open for further replies.