Vote on the future of the Strategy Committee

Public: Only invited members may reply

• Viewed BI Foundation BI Foundation Bedrock Solutions Bedrock Solutions Blockrock Mining Blockrock Mining BuildingIM BuildingIM Canonical Ledgers Canonical Ledgers Crypto Vikings Crypto Vikings Cube3 Cube3 DBGrow DBGrow David Chapman De Facto De Facto Factom Inc. Factom Inc. Factomatic Factomatic Factomize Factomize Factoshi Factoshi Federate This Federate This Go Immutable HashnStore HashnStore LUCIAP LUCIAP LayerTech Matter of Fact Matter of Fact Multicoin Capital Multicoin Capital Prestige IT Prestige IT RewardChain RewardChain Stamp-IT Stamp-IT The Factoid Authority The Factoid Authority VBIF VBIF
  • Not Viewed Syncroblock Syncroblock

What is the future of the Strategy Committee?

Have not voted

Authority Nodes Cube3 Cube3 Prestige IT Prestige IT Syncroblock Syncroblock

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Secured
@Mike Buckingham, @Ben Jeater, and myself worked together to craft this poll so the future of the Strategy Committee can be decided. The Strategy Committee currently has no leadership or activity.

Given the difficulties of sustaining the previous Strategy Committee a timed discussion to define the purpose of the Strategy Committee was conducted https://factomize.com/forums/thread...purpose-of-strategy-committee.1074/#post-6472. During that discussion, a defined purpose for the committee of "coordinating the development and maintenance of an agreed strategic plan over a specific time period and oversee it’s deployment" was shared. There was also strong agreement that as a minimum we would need to establish a way of managing the Roadmap.

One option is for the coordination of this to be conducted by the Marketing Committee. The Roadmap is the agreed direction the community wants to take over a defined horizon. It comprises significant milestones that we want to achieve and when we want to achieve them. Associated with each milestone will be an agreed definition of what the milestone means. Roadmap management will be the process whereby we coordinate the development of the roadmap, maintain it and ensure it’s delivery. ANOs delivering the roadmap items will be required to provide the marketing committee with the information required to keep the roadmap up to date.

The purpose of this poll is to establish:

Do we want to keep the Strategy Committee and have it work to coordinate the development and maintenance of an agreed strategic plan over a specific time period and oversee it’s deployment.

Or

Do we want to dissolve the Strategy Committee and agree that Roadmap Management should be handled by the Marketing Committee?

After this poll is conducted, a subsequent timed discussion and poll will be held to discuss how to implement our preferred solution.

This poll will be open for three days after which the results will be visible.

Last edited:
Secured
Marketing is usually a part of a grand strategy. Under normal conditions, Marketing shouldn't be responsible to maintain a strategy and the Roadmap (ie Marketing is a part of the Roadmap). That being said, @CryptoVikings did make it quite simple for us. The Strategy Committee is dead. But we do need a strategy moving forward! I'm fine with dissolving a dead committee, but in the long run we will need strategists.

Secured
It is of my personal opinion that the strategy/roadmap should not be determined by the marketing committee. When people are looking to find resources from or communicate with members of the committee responsible for strategy, they will not think "Oh, Marketing, yeah! That's where I should look."

While Product (typically those responsible for "strategy/roadmap") and Marketing always need to work very close together, I would highly recommend keeping them separate.

As for what is done with the current Strategy Committee, I have no opinion.

Secured
Carl, the road map wouldn't be determined by the Marketing Committee, just coordinated / administered.
Got it. I recommend a change to the text to make it clear, as:

...Roadmap Management should be handled by the Marketing Committee?
sounds like they are determining it as well.

In this case, I agree disbanding an unused committee sounds appropriate. Again, this is just my personal opinion.

Secured
Roadmap management will be the process whereby we coordinate the development of the roadmap, maintain it and ensure it’s delivery. ANOs delivering the roadmap items will be required to provide the marketing committee with the information required to keep the roadmap up to date.
Just in case anyone is worried, the marketing committee categorically does not want to set the direction for the roadmap; we genuinely couldn't. That is why I asked David to add these two sentences into the text. I am already coordinating the roadmap so it didn't seem like much of a leap to make it a permanent decision until some better structure comes along.

The marketing committee hopes that people with ideas for the roadmap will be talking to us anyway about launch and awareness of their project anyway, which will allow us to update the roadmap as another task on the marketing checklist.