re: Triall Clinical Research grant proposal

Secured
With the first grant round in 2019 now concluded we are disappointed to see that the Triall grant was not funded by the Factom community. We realize that with over subscription and development debt to fund it was an extremely competitive round.

The grant was however the runner-up to be funded, so it is evident that the community sees this grant as a worthy recipient of a Factom grant, and we in TFA would like to encourage Triall to resubmit in the next grant round. These types of implementations are important for the Factom ecosystem, as it provides validation and important exposure for the protocol.

Secured
@nexi posted on discord #guide-announcements channel

The scores for Grant Round 2019-1 have been finalized and can be viewed by following the link below. 18 Grants were funded in this round. The grant round was heavily oversubscribed and there were a lot of good applications this round. We appreciate everyone who applied and participated in the process. Grant applicants not awarded are encouraged to apply again at future rounds. The grant application "Factom Open Node Enhancement" is this rounds cutoff grant, with 374 out of 1300 FCT available for funding. The applicants behind that grant now have until 2019-02-12 23:59 to resubmit that grant to be equal or less than 374 FCT in order to fit inside the grant pool if they chose to do so, at which time standing parties will vote to accept or reject the adjusted grant. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1YWudqX3NGPNi7JkN-hk4kz_37gEGEF6tGaLThv-gxpU/edit?usp=sharing

--- The Factom Guides

Secured
@nexi posted on discord #guide-announcements channel

The scores for Grant Round 2019-1 have been finalized and can be viewed by following the link below. 18 Grants were funded in this round. The grant round was heavily oversubscribed and there were a lot of good applications this round. We appreciate everyone who applied and participated in the process. Grant applicants not awarded are encouraged to apply again at future rounds. The grant application "Factom Open Node Enhancement" is this rounds cutoff grant, with 374 out of 1300 FCT available for funding. The applicants behind that grant now have until 2019-02-12 23:59 to resubmit that grant to be equal or less than 374 FCT in order to fit inside the grant pool if they chose to do so, at which time standing parties will vote to accept or reject the adjusted grant. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1YWudqX3NGPNi7JkN-hk4kz_37gEGEF6tGaLThv-gxpU/edit?usp=sharing

--- The Factom Guides
Thank you Jason.

Secured
I'll put in 100 FCT as well.

I can also offer DBGrow for any technical assistance needed for Triall in developing on FAT. I believe that grants in Factom are an appealing consideration for a project building on blockchain, but I believe having a smart community eager to assist you when you choose Factom is equally as appealing, and I look forward to seeing Triall come on line and assist in ways I can.

Secured
Okay really encouraging to see you guys step up here and this shows how great this community is.

As promised I would give a more in depth reply as to why I think this is a missed opportunity. And yes a word of warning that I am biased of course ;)

We are a coalition of standing parties (Authority Node Operators and Guides which are related to ANOs). We promote the protocol and make sure it becomes the Data Integrity Standard we all envision.

We need core development to make sure we can accommodate future usage, which is quite important. Most standing parties seem to agree given their scores. We need developer access to the protocol to get other/new parties on board. All of this is dedicated to make sure the usage of the protocol takes off. Without usage the protocol will die a slow death (no I don't expect that to happen if it us up to me and I am still here ;) ). The point is that we need usage of the public protocol to make sure that we have more grant money in the future to fund everything.

Currently most grant proposals are put forward by standing parties. This means that the people voting are in "competition" with other grants for a lot of standing parties. We now had an example of an external entity that decided after multiple conversations to not use their preferred public blockchain solution that is a few factors bigger than Factom and to which they had access to important people. They heavily invested into this solution and were going to bring the following to the Factom protocol:

- Our first ICO/ITO
- A complete clinical trials ecosystem (both open-source and proprietary)
- An almost complete first product
- The first actual clinical trial on top of Factom
- People with deep knowledge of clinical trials, a whitepaper and obviously a plan

The ask was 3000 FCT, or roughly 18,000 dollars. Given the amount of exposure of point 1 and 4 in terms of marketing and the continuity of point 2, 18K would be peanuts. We are all here to get the protocol of the ground and now we have people that want to achieve that with us and apparently we do not believe strongly enough to make that happen. But we need exactly users of the protocol like Triall to fund more future development.

What I believe is that the outcome would be different if we had other types of standing parties, but of course this is speculation and bias ;)

Secured
Factomatic publicly supported the grant, as we strongly believe these are the types of projects that should get funding. We are all eager to get more adoption for the protocol and as a community we should embrace such initiatives IMO.

Factomatic will donate 202 FCT towards the project.

Could @Hadil Es-Sbai or @Niels Klomp confirm the address where the funds should be transferred?

Secured
Dear Factom community,

We are absolutely amazed by your response. Thank you all for your kind words, contributions and support!
This is truly encouraging, and makes us even more motivated to perform the first-ever clinical trial on the Factom Protocol!
With the financial and technical support offered by you, we are determined to reach the milestones from our grant proposal and keep the community updated on our progress. Together we will build the tools for smarter, safer and more efficient clinical trials, powered by the Factom Protocol.

I also would like to emphasize that we are currently discussing internally how we can best consolidate these partnerships and give back to the Factom community (other than by reaching the proposed goals). Therefore, we expect to get back to you shortly.

Development funds may be channeled through the following FCT Address:
Triall
FA2ncB92aLCcHRmHcNko6MSFyqYVhX67imtJmoZQskLYSMyXdFgq

Warm regards,

Hadil