Proposed Restructure of Discord

Unrestricted Public Thread

• Viewed BI Foundation BI Foundation Bedrock Solutions Bedrock Solutions Blockrock Mining Blockrock Mining BuildingIM BuildingIM Canonical Ledgers Canonical Ledgers Crypto Vikings Crypto Vikings Cube3 Cube3 DBGrow DBGrow David Chapman De Facto De Facto Factom Inc. Factom Inc. Factomatic Factomatic Factomize Factomize Factoshi Factoshi Federate This Federate This Go Immutable Guides HashnStore HashnStore KevInc LUCIAP LUCIAP LayerTech Matter of Fact Matter of Fact Multicoin Capital Multicoin Capital Prestige IT Prestige IT Stamp-IT Stamp-IT The Factoid Authority The Factoid Authority VBIF VBIF
  • Not Viewed RewardChain RewardChain Syncroblock Syncroblock
Secured
At present, there are two problems with Discord:

1. It is geared somewhat towards Factom Inc when we are working towards being fully decentralized.
2. It is VERY difficult to navigate, especially for new people because the large number of channels.

First, if Factom Inc wants the current Discord to be somewhat geared towards them, that is absolutely their right. Every ANO can have their own Discord. However, I am writing this post in the hopes that the current Discord can become geared towards the Factom Protocol in general. If Inc doesn't want that, that is within their right and then a separate discussion should be had if we want a separate Factom Protocol specific Discord.

The below is my suggestion for how to rework the channels assuming Inc would support such changes. The first set is how Discord would look and the explanation of what changes I made are below that. This proposal is based upon the premise that rarely used channels (other than a welcome channel) should not exist and can invariably be merged into other channels. I welcome feedback and debate regarding this proposal.

How Discord Would Look Under My Proposed Changes

BOLD are categories of channels.

Factom Protocol
#Welcome
#General Chat
#Help Desk / Report Spam / Mod Log
#News and Announcements

Development
#Developer Discussion
#Core Codebase

Authority Node Operators
#Operators-Chat
#Technical Chat
#High Priority
#Operators Alerts
#Operator Announcements

Governance
#Governance Chat
#Guide Announcements
#Guide Workspace
#Guide-Meetings Voice

Trading
#FCT Markets
#All Markets

Community Testnet
#testnet chat
#testnet workspace
#testnet announcements

Explanation of Changes

BOLD are categories of channels.

Via-Factom Inc >>>>> Factom Protocol
#Welcome - (we would change up the welcome message)
#Announcements-Staff - REMOVE
#Factom-Publications - REMOVE
#General Chat
#Help Desk - (formerly support)
#News and Announcements (formerly factom-in-the-media) -- this will be for anything Factom Protocol / ANO in the news + ANO announcements of any kind

Misc Text Channels - REMOVE
#General Chat - Move to Factom Protocol
#off-topic-chat - REMOVE
#support - Move to Factom Protocol and rename Help Desk
#factom-in-the-media - Move to Factom Protocol and rename News and Announcements. Mentions of anything Factom in the media as well as important announcements can go here.
#report spam - Becomes part of #Help Desk / Report Spam
#feed-factom-reddit - REMOVE
#hackathon - REMOVE

Development
#technical chat >>>>> Developer Discussion
#factom-codebase >>>>> #Core Codebase
#third party development - REMOVE
#wallets - REMOVE

Node Operators >>>>> Authority Node Operators
#Operators-Chat
#Operators-Technical >> Technical Chat
#High Priority - (This would be a combination of #onboarding, #incident-management, #announcements)
#Operators Alerts -
#Operators Onboarding - Merge into High Priority
#Incident Management - Merge into High Priority
#Operators Announcements
#Useful Links - Merge with #welcome
#Operators Reports - Merge with News and Announcements

Governance
#Governance Chat
#Guide Announcements
#Draft Documents - REMOVE
#Guide Workspace
#Guide-Meetings Voice

Trading
#FCT Markets
#All Markets

Community Testnet
#testnet chat
#testnet support - REMOVE (this discussion can happen in chat)
#testnet workspace -- (this will encompass many of the channels below)
#testnet announcements
#wg-server-best-practices - (merge into workspace)
#testnet restarts - (merge into workspace)
#testnet development - (merge into workspace)
#wg-testload - (merge into workspace)
#wg-monitoring - (merge into workspace)
#wg-documentation - (merge into workspace)
#wg-application-test - (merge into workspace)
#testnet-governance - (merge into workspace or chat)

Guide Workspace - (Merge into #guide workspace under Governance) -- These channels aren't used very much. There's no reason they can't all be in a single #guide-workspace channel.
#ano-applications - (Merge into #guide workspace under Governance)
#governance - (Merge into #guide workspace under Governance)
#monitoring system - (Merge into #guide workspace under Governance)
#documentation - (Merge into #guide workspace under Governance)
#grants - (Merge into #guide workspace under Governance)
#legal - (Merge into #guide workspace under Governance)
#admin - (Merge into #guide workspace under Governance)
#technical - (Merge into #guide workspace under Governance)
#community-input - (Merge into #governance-chat under Governance)

Last edited:
Secured
I'm currently working on a review of how other blockchains are managing their channels for the marketing committee. Once I've finished the work hopefully it will help inform us of some further changes. I think there is definitely a lot of pruning we can do and particularly we need to change the announcements section at the top from being Inc announcements to being Protocol announcements.

I think it was Xavier who brought this up at the last marketing committee meeting and has been championing the idea of sorting out the Discord channels :)

Secured
I'm currently working on a review of how other blockchains are managing their channels for the marketing committee. Once I've finished the work hopefully it will help inform us of some further changes. I think there is definitely a lot of pruning we can do and particularly we need to change the announcements section at the top from being Inc announcements to being Protocol announcements.

I think it was Xavier who brought this up at the last marketing committee meeting and has been championing the idea of sorting out the Discord channels :)
I think it has been bothering many of us for quite awhile :D My apologies for stepping on toes, I didn't realize you were also working on this. I look forward to any input you have based upon your research.

Secured
My 2cents:

#Operators Reports - merge with #News and Announcement?
#Useful Links - merge with #Welcome?
Edited the first post to reflect these. Great suggestions!

#report spam - I think we should keep this for visibility (put under Factom Protocol? )
It's so rarely used that I think it would take up valuable space. We could probably merge it into #help-desk. Thoughts on that?

Secured
Worthwhile initiative.

#Off-topic-chat - Might be useful so we can say "please move to off-topic" instead of "stop talking".
#Operators Alerts - This is read-only and parsed by TFA Bot, so probably can't merge with another channel.
I added #Operators Alerts back in. Thanks for that insight.

I know it's REALLY tempting to have an off-topic chat but the last post was made almost a week ago. It's creating clutter and little more. We don't have to tell people to stop talking. A simple, "Hey X and Y, could you please take the off topic chat to DM? Thanks!" should suffice and help reduce channel clutter.

Secured
It's so rarely used that I think it would take up valuable space. We could probably merge it into #help-desk. Thoughts on that?
Maybe rename it to #Report Spam and Phishing.

I think it's okay this channel less active (until we get popular). People can see it's been reported instead of multiple messages to mods about same issue.

Usually when I want to report Spam and Phishing I do not think Helpdesk. Most services (facebook, gmail, ...etc.) all have separate sections to report Spam & Phishing vs. Help & Support

Secured
Maybe rename it to #Report Spam and Phishing.

I think it's okay this channel less active (until we get popular). People can see it's been reported instead of multiple messages to mods about same issue.

Usually when I want to report Spam and Phishing I do not think Helpdesk. Most services (facebook, gmail, ...etc.) all have separate sections to report Spam & Phishing vs. Help & Support
The last post in the Report Spam channel was almost a week ago. The post before that was made almost three weeks ago. I personally believe how to report spam and phishing can be stated in the Welcome channel (either in Help Desk or direct to a moderator online) and communicated over time, but if the consensus is that there should be a spam channel, I'll of course add it back in.

Secured
From an effective marketing and communication perspective, we definitely want to keep it at one Discord channel for everything Factom rather than start separating them. Imagine all ANOs and ANO Factom related activities all pointing to the same Discord channel, their is exponential value in that.

This doesn't mean that a certain ANO like Factom Inc or Sphereon or the likes can't have their own announcements channel if they want something like that. I wouldn't call it less decentralized rather more effective communication.

Great initiatives David as always :)

Secured
The last post in the Report Spam channel was almost a week ago. The post before that was made almost three weeks ago. I personally believe how to report spam and phishing can be stated in the Welcome channel (either in Help Desk or direct to a moderator online) and communicated over time, but if the consensus is that there should be a spam channel, I'll of course add it back in.
Actually Halloween, a couple days ago was the last post to Report Spam, by Azn1nvas1on and (in response) myself.
Report Spam is pretty useful anytime someone is booted for mimicking someone, or whatever. Useful for moderators, if anyone is actually moderating.

Secured
Restructuring the channels is not a problem for us. We are still the coordinator for development, and that's likely to be true for some time. That doesn't make the discord "Factom Inc" centric, just a function of using the resources we have. We can definitely reword stuff to not look so Factom Inc. centric, and honestly most of the stuff that looks centric to Factom Inc. has almost no traffic.

Secured
I like Operators-reports channel.
It’s bery easy to track reports there.

And maybe leave Operators-onboarding.
Neither are used very often and that's never a good thing. Why do you feel onboarding discussion and reports can't go in the Operators High Priority channel?

Everyone has their favorite channel they like that is rarely used. We have to be very careful not to let one back in here and one back in there without really good reasons or we're going to be back where we started.

Secured
How about "#Help Desk" becomes "#Help Desk / Report Spam" ?
As long as every time that channel is lit up, a moderator has something to do. Otherwise, notices about spam or attacks on members just gets buried in other messages and missed.

Note that I am perhaps the least responsive user on the channel, but I responded in a minute.... Because Report Spam lit up.

Secured
As long as every time that channel is lit up, a moderator has something to do. Otherwise, notices about spam or attacks on members just gets buried in other messages and missed.

Note that I am perhaps the least responsive user on the channel, but I responded in a minute.... Because Report Spam lit up.
Yep. Anytime #Help Desk / Report Spam lights up we should jump on it.

Secured
I want to apologize if I painted Factom Inc as part of the problem here. That was not my intention and if my words weren't clear, my sincere apologies.

What I tried to convey is that the Discord has a section largely dedicated to Factom Inc...

Screenshot 2018-11-02 at 1.58.04 PM.png

...when the goal is for the Factom Protocol to be decentralized. If this Discord is to be for the Factom protocol, then in my opinion, it would be important that change. It's not Factom Inc's fault, they did nothing wrong, and if Factom Inc didn't want that to change, that would be totally understandable and within their right and this Discord could be for Factom Inc specifically. We could then discuss if we wanted one dedicated specifically to the Factom Protocol.

Hopefully that makes a little more sense. :)