Funded [Prestige_IT-001] Blockchain Expo Global 2019 (London)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Secured
I am posting this grant proposal on behalf of @Prestige IT. This grant is purposed to cover the expenses associated with our team attending the Blockchain Expo Global 2019 in London, April 25th-26th.

As required by document 153 that governs Factom grant round 2019-01: This is the thread for grant proposal FACTOM-GRANT-PRESTIGE_IT-001.
The review process starts at 2019-01-31 00:00, so please refrain from starting public review or questions before that time. If you notice clear errors in the proposal you can contact the author of the grant proposal directly.

Thank you.

Attachments

Secured
Thank you for your proposal.

This is a generic question I ask in each grant thread.
This is currently the 3rd grant round. I consider that one of the very important criterion to select a grant (apart from its potential value) is the capacity of the grantee to deliver in time what it pledged. Therefore past grants can be used as an indicator.

If you did receive grants in previous rounds, could you please fill the following fields? This would increase transparency and help the standing parties to select grants.

- Have you, or one of your partners, previously received grants : Yes/No. If No, then you can stop here :)
- List of grants received : grant X1 from round Y1, grant X2 from round Y2...
- Status for each grant : grant X1/Still ongoing or Completed, grant X2/....
- Description of the work accomplished so far and Links supporting it : Discord Group/Factomize thread/Github/Reports/...
- Description of the residual work to be completed : XXXXXX

Thank you for your cooperation.

Secured
Hi @Saul Schwartzbach
Thanks for initiating this endeavor, it sounds promising. In the grant, you have the below listed as "successful criteria." I was hoping you could go into more detail about what other benefits the Factom (R) Protocol would receive? Additionally, what metrics should the community use to decide if future speaking events are worth the FCT or not? Said another way, what do we hope happens after the presentation is given? Thanks!

Screen Shot 2019-02-01 at 8.10.28 AM.png

Secured
As Matt said, what are the criterias here to determine if this was a success? Yes, Prestige IT will be presenting the Factom Protocol as an ANO as well as generating leads. Do we want to set a precedent and fund all ANOs asking for grants to attend Conferences? The way I see it, this conference can help you generate leads for your business, Prestige IT and connections for your business. Why should the Factom Protocol incur those costs? How can we know that there is no conflict of interest?

Secured
As Matt said, what are the criterias here to determine if this was a success? Yes, Prestige IT will be presenting the Factom Protocol as an ANO as well as generating leads. Do we want to set a precedent and fund all ANOs asking for grants to attend Conferences? The way I see it, this conference can help you generate leads for your business, Prestige IT and connections for your business. Why should the Factom Protocol incur those costs? How can we know that there is no conflict of interest?
The way we read it they will attend to promote the Factom protocol and not themselfes. They will also have a speaking slot to promote the protocol, and support would be provided based on them saying they will promote the protocol and not themselves.

Some trust must exist between the community and them, and as it is an open event and we can see what the talk was about it would hurt them if it turned out they were self-promoting and not mainly talking about the protocol.

That said, if they included some promotion of themselves on the side, as part of describing why they chose to use and support the protocol that is fine.

Having in mind the low FCT-amount asked, and the transparency of the cost we think this are a good grant to support and will vote in favor of it.

Secured
Thank you for your proposal.

This is a generic question I ask in each grant thread.
This is currently the 3rd grant round. I consider that one of the very important criterion to select a grant (apart from its potential value) is the capacity of the grantee to deliver in time what it pledged. Therefore past grants can be used as an indicator.

If you did receive grants in previous rounds, could you please fill the following fields? This would increase transparency and help the standing parties to select grants.

- Have you, or one of your partners, previously received grants : Yes/No. If No, then you can stop here :)
- List of grants received : grant X1 from round Y1, grant X2 from round Y2...
- Status for each grant : grant X1/Still ongoing or Completed, grant X2/....
- Description of the work accomplished so far and Links supporting it : Discord Group/Factomize thread/Github/Reports/...
- Description of the residual work to be completed : XXXXXX

Thank you for your cooperation.
No, Prestige IT has not received any previous grant.

Thank you.

Secured
Hi @Saul Schwartzbach
Thanks for initiating this endeavor, it sounds promising. In the grant, you have the below listed as "successful criteria." I was hoping you could go into more detail about what other benefits the Factom (R) Protocol would receive? Additionally, what metrics should the community use to decide if future speaking events are worth the FCT or not? Said another way, what do we hope happens after the presentation is given? Thanks!

View attachment 919
Matt,

We believe that this event is particularly worth sending representation to, and fufilling the speaking slot for, because we have already secured a Platinum Sponsorship package on behalf of the Factom Protocol at no cost to the community. This package was valued at $50,000 and benefits to the protocol include:
  • 20-minute solo speaking opportunity
  • Prominent logo, brand exposure & company bio on Blockchain Expo website as Platinum Sponsors.
  • Prominent logo & brand exposure within targeted Blockchain Expo marketing emails
  • Opportunity for guest blog or interview to be published on Blockchain Expo Blog and promoted via social media channels.
Previous to our team obtaining this sponsorship, this event was already being targeted by memebers of our community as particularly valuable due to the over 13,000 attendees and its focus on Enterprise. With this type of marketing exposure, our team strongly believes that capitalizing on this speaking opportunity, and generating leads with attending Enterprises, is in the best interest of the community.

While it’s hard to say the presentation will be an absolute success in the eyes of the audience, we have previously, and will continue to, welcome input from the community on the actual content delivered to help best ensure it captivates those in attendance.

After the event has concluded, our hopes are increased mindshare of those in attendance, and raised awareness for the work ANOs are doing to help further Factom Protocol in addition to Factom Inc. The success of these initiatives is hard to quantify, which is why the success criteria in our proposal was purposely vague.

Thank you for your questions.

Last edited:
Secured
I would like you to please take a look at my response to Matt's questions as I feel they answer some of yours as well. However, I would like to add that we are not simply an ANO seeking funding to attend a conference, but we have already obtained and provided an expensive sponsorship package for this event. Please take a look at the website for the event (https://blockchain-expo.com/global/) and notice that Factom Protocol is already listed as a diamond/platinum sponsor on the home page. I also would like to link the original thread here (https://factomize.com/forums/threads/bc-expo-london.1379/) as this will give people the backstory on how this initiative was started and may answer more questions you may have.

On the subject of a possible conflict of interest, I would like to point out that it is the general community sentiment that ANOs must have other revenue streams to be viable long term. Prestige IT is an established MSP and Cybersecurity firm outside of being an ANO. These types of conferences can be valuable for the other arms of our business, which is why we are sending other members of our team to attend the event focusing on solely Prestige IT client sales. Those team member's expenses are not included in the grant application and will be paid strictly out of pocket. The team members who are mentioned in the grant will be attending with Factom Protocol being the absolute priority and focus. Any mention of Prestige IT during our presentation will likely be to discuss the decentralization of standing parties and how the individual ANO teams play into the greater whole. Obviously, we would like our experience as ANO to bring further credibility and exposure to Prestige IT in the blockchain arena, but we absolutely will not use grant funding for explicit self-promotion of any kind.

Thank you for your questions.

Last edited:
Secured
Hi @Saul Schwartzbach
We expect more-and-more future grant submissions pertaining to sponsorship/speaking events. With all grants, the big question is the ROI. Therefore, we think it is very important for the community to evaluate the sponsorship/speaking opportunity grants after they happen. Hence, why I asked about the "success criteria" of the grant.

Would you be willing to provide an "After Action" report as part of the grant? This report could then detail the successes of the sponsorship opportunity. A report such as that would be invaluable for us to evaluate future sponsorship/speaking events.

Thank you

Secured
Matt,

If the community thinks that such a report is necessary and will be valuable we are happy to do so.
I just want to make sure that Prestige IT doesn't end up being socially graded on this if they do it. The platinum sponsorship alone makes this grant a no brainer and anything on top of that the team is able to provide is simply a cherry on top.

Status
Not open for further replies.