Funded [Marketing Committee] Explainer Video Grant

Status
Not open for further replies.
Secured
The marketing committee is putting forward a proposal to create a marketing video for the Factom® Protocol.

Today, the Video format is the highest converting medium for marketing, typically resulting in 5 times the number of engagements as static content. Therefore, this is a requirement for the Protocol website and as part of the marketing toolkit.

Marketing videos need to be produced by a professional team who have the tools and the experience. The marketing committee will prepare and execute a Request For proposal (RFP) procedure to select the best team based on price/quality criterea.

The committee is applying for 3,000 FCT to cover the production of the video by a video production company.

Attachments

Secured
Thank you for your proposal.

This is a generic question I ask in each grant thread.
This is currently the 3rd grant round. I consider that one of the very important criterion to select a grant (apart from its potential value) is the capacity of the grantee to deliver in time what it pledged. Therefore past grants can be used as an indicator.

If you did receive grants in previous rounds, could you please fill the following fields? This would increase transparency and help the standing parties to select grants.

- Have you, or one of your partners, previously received grants : Yes/No. If No, then you can stop here :)
- List of grants received : grant X1 from round Y1, grant X2 from round Y2...
- Status for each grant : grant X1/Still ongoing or Completed, grant X2/....
- Description of the work accomplished so far and Links supporting it : Discord Group/Factomize thread/Github/Reports/...
- Description of the residual work to be completed : XXXXXX

Thank you for your cooperation.

Secured
Hi @mboender

We agree that high quality video is sorely needed. Thanks for initiating this. This grant reminded me of a post @Henry Liu made six weeks ago. His post detailed "the most effective and performance focused marketing and PR strategy" in his opinion. As a refresher, here is his post:
Screen Shot 2019-01-31 at 1.34.42 PM.png

QUESTIONS
1. Why is the marketing committee going the animation route instead of Henry's route? I am not judging, I am just trying to understand the thought process. Thank you

2. If @David Chapman was to withdraw his video-based grant, and the exchange committee was to reduce the amount of FCT they are requesting, would the marketing committee be open to upping their FCT request in this grant in order to create two high quality videos, one being animated and one being Henry's approach (this assumes sufficient ANO support)?

Thanks for spearheading this initiative!

Secured
@Matthias Fortin

Have you, or one of your partners, previously received grants :
Yes, ongoing

List of grants received:
Marketing Grant 001 in round 2018-02

Status for each grant:
Marketing Grant 001 - Ongoing (1 month remaining)

Description of the work accomplished so far and Links supporting it:
The marketing grant was to produce a branding pack and media pack for the protocol; these activities have been done and can be found in the media pack zip at the link below. https://drive.google.com/open?id=14SP90OOjR_IOLcC8bAjmbhuVd5NXQ0_2

The grant also included work on creating a mailing list for media contacts. This is ongoing.

The largest part of the grant was a paid campaign to bring new people into the ecosystem. This is due for launch on the 1st February 2019 and therefore we cannot give any specifics of performance at this time.

Description of the residual work to be completed:
  • Launch and run the paid campaign
  • Finalise media list
  • Produce final grant report

Secured
@Matt Osborne
The committee is keen to deliver as much media for the ecosystem as possible, but we found ourselves in a difficult position this round because we took a grant in the last round and are yet to deliver on 92% of that funding (paid campaign).

The decision was made to utilise the overfunding (due to increase in FCT price at the time of liquidation) to pay for smaller campaigns during March, April, and May so we can really understand who we should be targetting.

If there is an appetite for the marketing committee to deliver more activity this round than we have applied for we are willing and able to step up and get the work done. I am only basing the price on @Henry Liu's estimation, so we'd have to do some planning and get some quotes before updating our grant.

I'm not sure about the method of interviewing all the ANOs that Henry was thinking about, so I will speak to Henry to get his ideas.

TL;DR? Yes, we would step up and get another interview video done.

Secured
I like this grant, and love hypercubes work.

Some questions on it.

1. "All videos produced will be owned by the marketing committee and ownership will pass over to the Factom® non-profit." What does that mean? A marketing committee can't own the video by my understanding.

2. We had discussed in the past waiting on such a video if there was any possibility of the protocol re branding at some point, have we moved past that conversation entirely?

3. Have we discussed these videos at all with inc?
General Overview-
What is Factom-
Title Records-

They are pretty high quality videos, and are entirely unused now. Depending how they were made, if we had access to the original files we might be able to pretty easily do things like replace the logos, create new intro sequence, etc if factom inc was willing to release those. Again it really depends on those files, could be done with ease, could be harder than starting from scratch. Im just wondering if we looked into it at all because, especially the general overview video (and I really the title record usecase video as well), they are solid videos that I would be sorry to see go to waste.

Just want to hear your guys thoughts on that, and any info on what the content will be like that differentiates it from that first video. Thanks!

Generally support the grant though (y)

Secured
Thank you @Julian Fletcher-Taylor

1. Yes, I believe legal ownership is not possible. I believe they would be something like a common creative license, but I'm not a lawyer. Let's just call the Marketing Committe the custodian or something? Providing a temporary home until there is a new entity for the community?

2. We did discuss this, but postponing this would be waiting until: when? We will state in the brief that, where possible, we should be able to substitute logo's, fonts and colors whit relative ease.

3. No. We did not. No sure if we can get a result before voting.

Secured
1. Sounds good, and nothing against an ANO holding onto the rights until we have a nonprofit setup, as long as there is the guarantee to transfer which there is here. Just wanted clarification.

2. Awesome, thats really what I wanted to hear. Easy swapping of logos, name, etc sounds great. And recording a new voice track that uses new name isnt too hard. Thanks.

3. I don't think thats a deal breaker for me, curious to get thoughts from other people with a better eye for marketing than I have though on whether that video could be repurposed into a good new video for the factom protocol.

Secured
It is very refreshing to see these grants for video content. I often felt like this is missing and envied some of the nice explainer videos of other projects.

Maybe I'm just totally off on this, but isn't 3000 FCT an unreasonably high price for a 2 minute video? https://www.imdb.com/title/tt4975722/ won the Oscar for best motion picture in 2016. It's almost a 2 hour movie, it's not a cartoon, and it was produced for a grand total of $1.5M. If I extrapolate the pricing for the 2 minutes video, I get 3000 * 55 = 165K FCT, which would be close to $1M at current prices.

Should we expect that the Factom video produced by this grant will win the Oscar for best short film? :D

Joking aside, I would appreciate someone explaining to me why the price for these videos is so high. I must be missing something here.

Secured
GOI supports video creation. Three clarification questions though:

1. Will all funds from this grant be going to the production company?

2. What about any left-over funds?

3. If I remember correctly, the former ANO "Block Party" had a background in video production. I'd be curious to get a read on what they feel is a good price to pay for this video. Any chance someone from marketing wants to reach out?

Thank you

Secured
3. If I remember correctly, the former ANO "Block Party" had a background in video production. I'd be curious to get a read on what they feel is a good price to pay for this video. Any chance someone from marketing wants to reach out?
High-quality videos (and I'm considering HyperCube's videos as a high-quality content) costs about $10K per 1 minute of final video. I'm not the video expert, but it's completely clear, that it's not just "draw and animate it" works — there are also a lot of things under the hood.
I found the price of 3,000 FCT for the explainer video creation is suitable.

Secured
While I do love the idea of a 2-minute explainer video showcasing why the Factom Protocol exists as well as the benefits enterprises would gain by using it, I also strongly feel that at some juncture (whether during this Grant round or later), a feature video with interviews of ANO's would be something special.

Our ecosystem is so unique, dynamic, collaborative, and straight up brilliant, and a huge way to showcase all of that is through interviews. We have so much novel development, a ton of different-minded people all broadly working towards the same goals, and a robust governance system that keeps us moving. We are all working on different things, and a video that can highlight our progress and projects and breadth of experience would be outstanding.

The people/minds in the Protocol are our biggest asset; let's find a way (at some point) to harness that strength and show it off.

Secured
@Matt Osborne
Hi Matt,

1) The plan is to have an open RFP process. The Marketing Committee will then vote on which supplier to grant the job.
2) Any left-over funds will be reported. We'll take those into the calculation for any follow-up marketing grant.
3) The budget was established based on several inputs from people in this industry. We encourage Block Party and other parties to participate in the RFP process.

Hope this answers your questions.

Secured
Not to walk all over this proposal but I strongly suggest we go with Vince & his team @ Growth Fixers. This is their grant and it includes explainer videos as well as additional content to ELI5 Factom. What they will also provide on top of that is a Global Marketing Strategy as well as start executing on it with 15 experiments.

Vince has proven to be very valuable to the community since he started contributing and so I STRONGLY support his grant over any overlapping marketing grant. He will deliver I can guarantee it. He's also the most experienced marketer that seems to be in this community.

Not to mention this grant is for 3000 FCT which is 30% of his grant while the latter includes a lot more value to the community.

Secured
Hey black&white, thanks for your contributions lately in discussions.

Just feel we should be careful with this line of posting - it’s one thing to show support for your favourite grant, and another to come to an arguably competing proposal to ask people not to support in favour of yours.

The explainer video grants have coordinated somewhat, and the material produced is aimed not to repeat itself and be used in different ways.

There’s potentially room for all this needed content - but we’ll see how people vote.

Again, your input is very welcome and important! Just want to avoid negging.

Secured

Just feel we should be careful with this line of posting - it’s one thing to show support for your favourite grant, and another to come to an arguably competing proposal to ask people not to support in favour of yours.

The explainer video grants have coordinated somewhat, and the material produced is aimed not to repeat itself and be used in different ways.

There’s potentially room for all this needed content - but we’ll see how people vote.

Hey Colin, yes I see what you mean. My bad. The thing is that I see all of us as 1 team rather than separate teams competing for grants. So when we have an Explainer Video requested here and another one in another grant, it only makes sense to look at them together because again, we are 1 team and we want what's best for the protocol. I'm not trying to bring anyone or any project down. Just comparing similar deliverable grants as at the end of the day, it will be one or another.

Hope I didn't offend anyone, just trying to help and reduce work load and overlap :)

Secured

Thinking more about it now. How are we supposed to provide comparative feedback and discussion between overlapping grants if we can't mention one vs. the other? Same thing for the core development grants? Maybe we should just accept all kind of scrutinity and criticism? How are we supposed to properly communicate the Pros and Cons of one over the other to non-marketing ANOs? To tech ANOs?

So I agree with you in a sense but also disagree with you as it will lead to "dumber" (less informed) decisions.

Secured
I’m personally going to try to accommodate as many marketing grants as possible.

My own explainer video for off-blocks was $10k for a complex video with infinite revisions included. I pushed them hard over 6 weeks to get the results.

You can choose a simpler animation styles or cheaper agency’s. But this amount, 3000fct for a 2 min video from a top agency is about right.

The important thing will be the script and visual ideas presented. Thankfully there’s a strong team behind the grant that can deliver.

There’s definetely a case for having a complex high quality video to show ppl in a first instance to grab attention.

If you don’t win them in that first video - they won’t watch the others.

Basic questions every potential client asks, can be very hard to answer efficiently in language they can understand. It’d be very helpful to have a superb go-to video to present in these situations and put on the front page of the protocol website.

One that both answers the questions and leaves an impression.

So let’s make sure we have that impactful material that will lead to the protocol being researched further, rather than skipped.

Secured
I like this grant, and love hypercubes work.

Some questions on it.

1. "All videos produced will be owned by the marketing committee and ownership will pass over to the Factom® non-profit." What does that mean? A marketing committee can't own the video by my understanding.

2. We had discussed in the past waiting on such a video if there was any possibility of the protocol re branding at some point, have we moved past that conversation entirely?

3. Have we discussed these videos at all with inc?
General Overview-
What is Factom-
Title Records-

They are pretty high quality videos, and are entirely unused now. Depending how they were made, if we had access to the original files we might be able to pretty easily do things like replace the logos, create new intro sequence, etc if factom inc was willing to release those. Again it really depends on those files, could be done with ease, could be harder than starting from scratch. Im just wondering if we looked into it at all because, especially the general overview video (and I really the title record usecase video as well), they are solid videos that I would be sorry to see go to waste.

Just want to hear your guys thoughts on that, and any info on what the content will be like that differentiates it from that first video. Thanks!

Generally support the grant though (y)
Peter Kirby back in the day largely did these videos himself for almost nothing. I don't recall the exact amounts, but something less than $500 each. Peter was very good at creating slides out of available (creative commons and original content) and used a very inexpensive voice over service. The videos are a bit dated, and they have some small number of errors (like suggesting factom can hold a birth certificate so you will never lose it). But all in all, they are very good.

Secured
Thanks for the kind words and consideration!

I worked with Peter and Tiana back in the day to create the Factom is Forever video, and had a blast doing so. It launched my career as a Blockchain video maker.

Nowadays at Hypercube we have a much bigger team, and my team is so much more skilled than I am with motion design that I only manage them these days!

I realize very well that it's quite awkward for me to chime in in a grant proposal thread where Hypercube is mentioned since I am the owner, but I just wanted to tell you that I'm super excited about the opportunity to help Factom with another really good explainer video. I have been a community manager here in the past and still love Factom.

Hypercube focusses on creating videos world-class production value, with great storytelling. We can also translate and voice the video in all major languages, including Chinese and Russian.

I really like your idea of doing live action interview series as well, I think they compliment explainer videos very well.
Live action/human faces to build trust, animated videos to promote and explain.

Secured
So I went ahead and reached out to Jon from Blockparty (here's Jon's background):

Screen Shot 2019-02-07 at 2.07.33 PM.png

Jon dug into his network and came up with these two companies:

http://www.kunichang.com/
https://betterstorystudio.com/portfolio/

The second company is more affordable.

Hopefully this helps. I'll let you guys take it from here.

Sidenote: For those that are curious, Jon is doing well. He just finished raising funding for another venture (non-blockchain).

Status
Not open for further replies.