GAMiX Authority Node Application

Hey everyone!

I'm Josh and I'm part of the leadership team over here at GAMiX. GAMiX would like to formally submit our authority node proposal for your review and have attached it to this thread. If you have any questions or concerns please let us know and we will be happy to answer them. Thank you very much for your consideration and we look forward to your response!

Cheers,

The GAMiX Team

Attachments

I think I might have fat-fingered that answer. My apologies and thanks for asking again.

From what I understand this question is asking what percent of the FCT payment for hosting the nodes will we * be deferring to the grant pool. Correct?

If so, it's actually 35% for one node, and 35% for two nodes.

Last edited:
We have several additional ideas that we think would be a great way to help further the Factom protocol as a whole. For instance, we administer a large open source Xenforo community (Factomize.com is on Xenforo too) and we’d be glad to pitch in and help moderate, theme edits, manage web servers, really whatever the community needs we would like to jump in and help.

One of the keys to the Factom’s success is going to be great marketing. This is where we shine. Everyone on our team has an extensive background in Digital Marketing. Whether it’s website design, forum management, or perhaps web server administration, SEO, Adwords, we would be glad to help bring some of that expertise to the table.

One of our team members, Collin Lahay, is the founder of Gambit. Gambit is one of the oldest and most trusted crypto trading groups. It hosts hundreds of well-known cryptocurrency traders, investors, funds, and, developers. Some of the most influential people in the cryptosphere are in Gambit, and have been for years. We all all work very closely together and help each other out when possible. Our reach on twitter is over 1m followers combined. We also have influence on some very popular crypto YouTube channels.

We also have Jeremy Quinn on our team and he is an equity partner at iXsystems. iXsystems has built thousands of servers for companies and institutions all over the world, and Jeremy has been at the helm attracting some very high level business to business relationships for the company. These are exactly the kind of business relationships Factom could benefit from.

Matt Osborne

Go Immutable
Exchange Working Group
Legal Working Group
Hey Guys. What excites you the most? When you were learning about Factom's history, what did you find most interesting?

Most recently, our team has been researching Factom and is excited by the history and technology of this company and open source project.
Thanks

Matt Osborne

Go Immutable
Exchange Working Group
Legal Working Group
Why would you continue to run nodes indefinitely? Have you done that with other coins/tokens?

We’ve set up 4 test nodes and are planning to keep those running indefinitely and regardless of whether or not we are selected to host authority nodes.

Matt Osborne

Go Immutable
Exchange Working Group
Legal Working Group
What are the top 3 problems you think Factom can solve? Thanks!

We firmly believe that Factom is poised for broader adoption because it solves problems that need to be solved in today’s business and enterprise environments

Niels Klomp

BI Foundation
Core Committee
Governance Working Group
Thank you for your application

NK01)
I think I might have fat-fingered that answer. My apologies and thanks for asking again.

From what I understand this question is asking what percent of the FCT payment for hosting the nodes will we * be deferring to the grant pool. Correct?

If so, it's actually 35% for one node, and 35% for two nodes.
So you fat-fingered in both cases?

Niels Klomp

BI Foundation
Core Committee
Governance Working Group
NK02)
We have a diverse team that is able to handle any network issues as they come up including an unscheduled restart. We’re set up to use Google services and use restart recovery, so it would just power cycle back into operation.The next step would be to ensure that services were back online and then diagnose why the restart happened. We will have notifications enabled for any serious events like this and would be able to respond immediately. If one of the technicians is unavailable or sleeping at the time, we still have two to three other technicians in other time zones that will be able to jump online at a moments notice and help. We’re guaranteeing 24/7/365 coverage
Would you apply the above procedure for all Factom nodes you are administering?

Niels Klomp

BI Foundation
Core Committee
Governance Working Group
NK03)
We will check the servers every 8 hours (once per shift) to ensure that they are up to date and monitor the system logs. We will ensure only the technicians responsible for maintaining the servers have access to them. We will be using SSH with key pairs only to connect.
Could you elaborate on the amount of technicians involved and the amounts of keys involved

Niels Klomp

BI Foundation
Core Committee
Governance Working Group
NK04)
We’ll be using Monit to continuously monitor our servers. We will get an immediate notification any time there is an event that should be investigated. All of our technicians will be notified simultaneously.
Could you elaborate on what you would be monitoring exactly?

Could you tell us how the notification process takes place?

Niels Klomp

BI Foundation
Core Committee
Governance Working Group
NK05)
Our ideal auth node would be running on bare metal servers provided by iXsystems and running Ubuntu and set up for high availability. We’re very experienced in supporting servers from iXsystems and their quality compared to other servers is legendary.
You also mention 2 high-availability Factom M3 Nodes in your application document. Could you explain what you mean with high-availability in both cases?

Hey Guys. What excites you the most? When you were learning about Factom's history, what did you find most interesting? Thanks
Great question and given enough time I could probably write a full paper on it. I think the best way to explain our excitement is to share a story about how Collin and I first started working together, and then show how if Factom was fully functioning back then it could have helped a dire situation for hundreds of thousands of people.

The year was 2005, and Hurricane Katrina had just ravaged the Gulf Coast of the United States. Hundreds of thousands of people were living in FEMA trailers and their lives were turned upside down. For this reason, President Bush signed the Gulf Opportunity Zone Act. This Act contained special tax incentives for investors to rebuild homes that were damaged beyond repair by the hurricane. I saw an opportunity to build a new business I believed in, so I started a real estate brokerage (gozonegateway.com) that focused on attracting real estate investors to Hurricane Katrina affected areas.

By the summer of 2008 we had hundreds of qualified investors around the country in contract to invest in brand new homes. Everyone thought it was finally happening, people could finally move out of their FEMA trailers into a brand new home and return to normal life. Just as the investor home loans were about to close, Lehman Brothers filed for bankruptcy and sent a shockwave through the world’s financials markets. Every day after, a new group of banks were becoming insolvent. Suffice to say, the bank we were working with (Wells Fargo) put all of our A+ investor loans on hold. This in turn spooked many investors who then decided to pull their investments. This cascading effect meant most of these families living in trailers had to stay for many more years.

At this point you may be thinking: “What does that have to do with the Factom protocol?”. Well, many of the issues that were negatively affecting large banks and keeping them from investing in the area had to do with information that couldn’t be properly verified. It was proving incredibly difficult to verify which company owned the note on a lot of the damaged properties. This was due in part to individual home notes being sold on the secondary market without a complete transaction record.

Now imagine if we had the Factom blockchain infrastructure at that time. The Factom blockchain could have acted as the single “source of truth” that could be used to validate any data related to the property and associated transactions very quickly, thus eliminating the question marks relating to the ownership of properties and the owner’s credit. We believe that Factom would be the perfect fit for these industries as an immutable blockchain solution that would keep everyone involved with the investment and lending process honest and help stomp out fraud on Wall Street. Caitlin Long eloquently expressed this idea in this interview.

Why would you continue to run nodes indefinitely? Have you done that with other coins/tokens?
We have not done this with other coins/tokens, because quite frankly we haven’t found any communities far enough along that we actually believe in. However, we do deeply understand how important open source technology and their surrounding communities are in solving some of the world’s toughest problems. We are reminded of this daily as we run the FreeNAS Open Source Community.

We constantly hear how blockchains are going to improve people’s lives and change the world for the better, but it’s mostly talk right now. That’s what excites us when we look at Factom and its history. We witnessed real life situations that turned entire markets upside down simply because information couldn’t be validated or because bad actors were using an inefficient system to their advantage. The bottom line is Factom can actually change the world, and we want to be a part of it regardless of whether or not we are given the opportunity to host authority nodes. As open source server guys, it’s our way to use our time, talent, and money to contribute to the world.

What are the top 3 problems you think Factom can solve? Thanks!
I think Factom will ultimately be the the solution to many problems, some of them nobody may even know yet!

That said, and from our perspective, the top 3 problems we see Factom solving are:
  1. Fixing the Mortgage Industry - Factom is primed to revolutionize the mortgage industry by improving the whole mortgage process and audit trail. Permanent records and an index of final loan documents will make audits faster by reducing current friction with the due diligence and review time periods.

2. Business Efficiency - Factom lowers the barrier of entry to utilize blockchain technology for many businesses with an API that easily integrates into new or existing applications. In turn these businesses will be much more efficient with a collaborative platform to preserve, ensure and validate digital assets.

3. Combating Fake News - The U.S is currently dealing with a ‘truth crisis’, and this problem only looks to worsen with new technology like ‘deep fakes’. We need to get a handle on problems like these or there could be massive societal unrest at some point in the future.

-Jeremy Quinn

Last edited:
Thank you for your application

NK01) So you fat-fingered in both cases?
Hi Niels, this is a very fair and observant question. By definition, to fat-finger is to type something inaccurately, but I happen to use that phrase as an euphemism for screwing up. So I technically didn’t fat finger it, I screwed up. :)

Josh Smith from our team will be posting our answers to the rest of your questions.

-Jeremy Quinn

NK02)

Would you apply the above procedure for all Factom nodes you are administering?
Yes. Any nodes that we administer will go through the same process.
NK03)

Could you elaborate on the amount of technicians involved and the amounts of keys involved
Three of our founding members are technicians and we also have an additional employee who serves as a backup. We’re spread across several time zones which would give us some really good overlap. i.e. if one person is sleeping 2 to 3 others will be awake.

Key management is important to us and each individual will have their own SSH key and their own individual accounts. Two people would have elevated permissions to the server and two people that would serve as backup that would have permissions to restart services and run diagnostics but not full write / root access. If a problem arose that could not be easily solved by the lower level technicians they would call one of the core technicians and ask them for assistance.

NK04)

Could you elaborate on what you would be monitoring exactly?

Could you tell us how the notification process takes place?
Monit is an open source utility that monitors many key factors on a server like server connections, CPU load, memory utilization, running processes, and file system permissions.

Monit will send notifications via email and we also plan to utilize a script that will forward push notifications via telegram to our phones when an alert is generated.

NK05)

You also mention 2 high-availability Factom M3 Nodes in your application document. Could you explain what you mean with high-availability in both cases?
This would primarily apply when moving to bare metal hardware, but it can be done with Google Cloud Services as well. In either instance, servers are able to be set up in a high-availability mode that allows the “failover” node to take over when the “master” node fails. We’re very familiar with the technology and would like to see if it works with authority nodes if we are selected.