Successful [Factomize-003] Automated Grant System

Was Factomize Automated Grant System Grant Round 2, 2019 Successful?

Have not voted

Guides Brian Deery Nic R

Authority Nodes Canonical Ledgers Canonical Ledgers Consensus Networks Consensus Networks DBGrow DBGrow De Facto De Facto Factom Inc. Factom Inc. HashnStore HashnStore HashQuark Kompendium Kompendium Multicoin Capital Multicoin Capital Prestige IT Prestige IT

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Secured
We began work immediately on this grant as we're in a race to get it built, refined, and sufficiently tested for the next grant round. We've been making good progress but still have a lot of work to do. A few screenshots:

1. Some of the options from the backend:

ag1.png

2. The waiver / indemification clause will be separate from the thread and must be agreed to in order to submit a proposal. Last grant round we had problems with people submitting old waivers because they copied old grants.

Screenshot 2019-05-30 at 9.07.45 AM.png

3. Filling out the grant proposal:

Screenshot 2019-05-30 at 9.09.47 AM.png

4. The grant submission thread responses end up in a standardized format across each grant:

ag2.png

5. Chappie will keep everyone updated on timelines and dates:

ag3.png

6. And Chappie will make sure any edits to grants are communicated for greater trust and transparency:

ag4.png

Tackling the voting system is next big item on our list. So far so good on our timeline.

Last edited:
Secured
We continue to make progress. With the current price of FCT and the countless small details we have to workout in this project, I suspect Factomize will lose money on this grant. That's the way the ball bounces sometimes though and the risk we all take.

We've been focused on the voting system. Due to the popularity of @Paul Bernier's drag and drop system, we modeled the UI after it. Once the voting period starts, you will be able to drag and drop the grants to rank them as desired.

update2.png

update1.png

We're hoping to have the voting system wrapped up this week and begin working on the tracking of grants.

Secured
Progress continues and we hope to open up what we have done for beta testing this week. We have up to the final results of the voting about ready for testing. The grant tracking process probably won't be ready AND sufficiently tested for this coming grant round, but we'll see. If not, it's not a big deal as that can be done manually and we'll patch in the tracking once it's ready.

Secured
Work has continued on the Automated Grant System despite the round being live. We have:

1. Patched in Grant Tracking and Final Vote Determination.

2. Tracked down and fixed one minor bug.

3. Patched in creating output for the payment pull request to make the lives for Guides much easier. Here's the output of the most recent test from our test forum:
Code:
// ********************************
// **** Data Stuff ****
// ********************************

// --------------------------------------------------------
// [David Chapman-HashnStore-1] Test -- 15 FCT
// Guide Compensation 2019-08-14 - 2019-08-16

// David Chapman total: 5 FCT
HardGrant{xxxxxx, 5e8, validateAddress("FA3nsSjUy5uSkqMEug8t3VcehZn5w2ciSMpgqFEEsMRwMrHoa9k3")},

// David Kuiper total: 5 FCT
HardGrant{xxxxxx, 5e8, validateAddress("FA3nsSjUy5uSkqMEug8t3VcehZn5w2ciSMpgqFEEsMRwMrHoa9k3")},

// HashnStore total: 5 FCT

// [DavidTest-LUCIAP-1] test 2 -- 15.3 FCT

// DavidTest total: 5.1 FCT
HardGrant{xxxxxx, 51e7, validateAddress("FA3nsSjUy5uSkqMEug8t3VcehZn5w2ciSMpgqFEEsMRwMrHoa9k3")},

// DavidtestCube3 total: 5.1 FCT
HardGrant{xxxxxx, 51e7, validateAddress("FA3nsSjUy5uSkqMEug8t3VcehZn5w2ciSMpgqFEEsMRwMrHoa9k3")},

// LUCIAP total: 5.1 FCT

// [DanG-Go Immutable-1] test2 -- 15.66 FCT

// DanG total: 5.22 FCT
HardGrant{xxxxxx, 522e6, validateAddress("FA3nsSjUy5uSkqMEug8t3VcehZn5w2ciSMpgqFEEsMRwMrHoa9k3")},

// DavidtestFactomatic total: 5.22 FCT
HardGrant{xxxxxx, 522e6, validateAddress("FA3nsSjUy5uSkqMEug8t3VcehZn5w2ciSMpgqFEEsMRwMrHoa9k3")},

// Go Immutable total: 5.22 FCT
All we have left to do is some minor template work and this grant will be complete. We do plan another build based upon feedback we've received.

Secured
We consider this grant to be complete. There are a couple minor bugs and some improvements we will make under the grant but that will likely be the case for another round or two. We also have some improvements that were suggested to us that we want to make under our lowered efficiency (I don't expect the below to take much time. 2-4 days of work, maybe a little more as the drafting may end up more difficult that I'm estimating) that in our opinion do not fall under the current grant. There will likely be such requests each round as people want the system to become more robust. I realize people prefer grants to lowered efficiency, but it's hard when the feedback is likely to come during the grant round. We would be open to backpay grants in the future if that's what the community prefers.

We'll see if there's any feedback before we do our self summary and final determination vote.

The following are issues and suggestions that we will be fixing under the grant

1. When there are no grant proposals in the forum, change the message from:
There are no threads in this forum.
to:
No grant proposals have been submitted for the upcoming grant round as of yet. You may submit a proposal starting on {grant_round_start} by going here until {application_deadline_date}

2. Move assumed FCT dollar value next to requested FCT rather than down at the bottom of the page.

3. Show the list of grants here: https://factomize.com/forums/grant-pool/grant-rounds/4/ for non Standing Parties (Non-ANO and Guide usergroups).

4. Allow the ranking of grants as soon as the application period ends.

5. Automatically update grant proposal prefixes based upon funding or not.

6. Allow anyone on the team to edit the grant proposal.

7. These two messages should be reversed.

View attachment 2000

8. List not approved above withdrawn here: https://factomize.com/forums/grant-pool/grant-rounds/4/

9. Show final scores for non approved grants.

10. Factomize tracking threads: https://factomize.com/forums/threads/factomize-7-core-and-general-development.2317/

The following will be done as part of our lowered efficiency unless we here significant push back from the Standing Parties
(I don't expect the below to take much time. 2-4 days of work)

11. Ability to save a draft.

12. A personal version of the voting tool.

13. Ability to minimize the list of grants in threads.

14. Remove the yellow partial funding bar and have partially funded grants be red.

15. In the grant dropdown menu, add a link to the "Current Round" and rename the current link, "All Grant Rounds".

16. On https://factomize.com/forums/grant-pool/grant-rounds/ for concluded grant rounds, have a second column that links to the corresponding tracking forum with, "View tracking of funded grants".

Last edited:
Secured
This grant is now complete. Per Document 106 - Grant Success Determination Process we will self-score and allow others to review the grant prior to a poll being created where success or failure can be determined.

Original Grant Proposal

Grant Summary

Factomize was awarded a grant to automate the grant system.

We promised the following in our grant proposal:

- Largely automate the grant and tracking system
- Deploy in time for the grant round

Performance

The Automated Grant System was successfully designed, developed, and deployed. The entire system wasn't ready day one of the Grant Round as some aspects proved to be more difficult than anticipated, but our experienced team was able to break development and testing up in a manner where we were able to patch in all functionality so it was ready prior to that part of the grant round. A few bugs need to be fixed and some functionality improved that we feel fall under this grant. As that will likely remain the case for another round or two, we're choosing to call this grant complete so that it doesn't remain open for another six months.

Scoring

The following scoring rubrik will be used for this grant per Doc 106:
Code:
Exceptional (9.0 - 10.0) - Successful
Overachieved (7.0 - 8.9) - Successful
Achieved (5.0 - 6.9) - Successful
Underachieved (2.0 - 4.9) - Failure
Total Failure (0.0 - 1.9) - Failure
My Score

We feel we were inline with expectations. As such, we will be self scoring 5 or 6 which would mean it "Achieved" and was a successful grant.

We welcome additional reviews over the next 72 hours at which point we'll add the poll for final determination.

Secured
I've followed Factomize's work closely as a guide and tester, and I have to say that the performance and result I've witnessed is a clear cut 10.

They delivered on time, provided ample time and chance for testing and made sure that the final product was as good as it can be. Now during the first grant round they've ensured that people can provide feedback and have identified some items that will be enhanced prior to the next round.

Also, they have created a tool for auto-generating a template for the pull request for coding the grant Coinbase transactions which to my knowledge was outside the purview of the grant, but which is extremely handy and reduces overhead and manual labour in the time sensitive period from grants being awarded to them being paid out.

All in all a perfectly executed grant in my view.

Secured
Per Document 106 - Grant Success Determination Process this grant may now be voted on to determine success or failure.

Factomize's summary and self-score can be seen a couple of posts above this one which includes a link to the original grant.

The following scoring rubrik will be used for this grant per Doc 106:
Exceptional (9.0 - 10.0) - Successful
Overachieved (7.0 - 8.9) - Successful
Achieved (5.0 - 6.9) - Successful
Underachieved (2.0 - 4.9) - Failure
Total Failure (0.0 - 1.9) - Failure
This poll will be open for five days.

Secured
Thank you for what in my opinion was exemplary performance in executing the work this grant funded. I think it has helped move the protocol forward and made life easier for grant applicants and the sponsoring/evaluating community.

I encourage others to form their own views of what David and the team have done and vote accordingly.