Factom, MaxCollab, The College of William and Mary Partnership

Secured
Greetings Factom Community -

I hope you all are well. I am sending out a quick thread here to gauge interest in helping with the ongoing development of several classes at W&M. If you aren't already aware, while at W&M I spent a lot of time cultivating relationships with professors interested in working with me on blockchain research and creating a blockchain "hub." These efforts have resulted in blockchain courses in International Development and Regulation. A programming course is in the pipeline. These efforts have also resulted in Fellowships and the desire to create a long-term blockchain environment on campus for students in Business, CS, Social Sciences and Law to interact on how to best push both the conversation and development forward especially in the International Development space.

Maxcollab will be operating as a "gateway" so to speak for an ongoing relationship with W&M and Factom. There is more than interest in partnership (official documents coming very soon), but for now there are few action steps that are of interest for the upcoming semester and then for the coming year.

Note: I do understand some of you are more interested in a University becoming an ANO itself, W&M is interested in having an intermediary between organizations however. This does not mean in order for the partnership to happen MaxCollab has to be an ANO. IF/WHEN money is needed, we are more than willing to go through the grant pool. BELOW IS NOT A REQUEST FOR MONEY, IT IS GAUGING INTEREST IN TIME COMMITMENTS ONLY.

This upcoming semester (Fall 2019), there is a "Blockchain and International Development" course being taught. I want to find a few people from Factom ANOs, Guides or companies in the ecosystem that have an interest in International Development and are interested in coming to speak to the students on what they are doing as a company and how it relates to International Development. I am also interested in finding a few developers who would be willing to work with students in a mentor style role to help them understand how Factom can be used in their design of products that can be used in International Development. Coming to speak to the class, will require traveling to Williamsburg, VA for a day, covering your costs will count towards a financial contribution to the University. The course will be identified as a Factom sponsored course.

For the Spring to Summer of 2020, I am interested in finding well established ANOs, preferably outside of the US, who are in a position to house a Fellow (funded through the university) to further the mission of creating a student to company pipeline through the partnership.

So far I have had the opportunity of speaking with Sphereon, DBGrow, Inc (Directly involved in some conference calls with the University) and Greg Forst.

If the theme hasn't become clear, we are very interested in International Development, Law, Policy, Regulation and of course practical application side of things at the University. While CS will be brought into the fold, it will be sometime before we reach a point where major contributions from this partnership will be infrastructure contribution. I wanted to be very transparent about that reality. William and Mary does however partner with USAID, WorldBank and other IOs as well as have Professors, who will be working with us, who consult with other governments. These relationships could be fruitful for Pegnet and FAT in addition to all of the work you guys are putting in.

Thank you for your time guys. If you are interested, please say so here or send me a message on discord. If you have questions pertaining to the partnership at large, PLEASE send me a private message OR wait until I post another thread that outlines the details of the partnership from the University.

Secured
This sounds great. Do you know what level/year this first course will be listed as, and which department it will be offered through (e.g. International Relations, Computer Science, etc.)? I couldn't find a "International Development and Regulation" program, but perhaps it's in the business school? Either way, great work, very interesting!

Secured
This looks fantastic.

As you know, DBGrow has very deep connections in international development, and we would definitely be interested in working on any high impact work here, especially if it's getting involved with new people that can be brought into the blockchain/international development fold.

Troy is a fantastic person to be leading this effort.

Secured
This sounds great. Do you know what level/year this first course will be listed as, and which department it will be offered through (e.g. International Relations, Computer Science, etc.)? I couldn't find a "International Development and Regulation" program, but perhaps it's in the business school? Either way, great work, very interesting!
We have a public policy and IR program at W&M that partners with the law school and CS/Math department to create dual degrees. These classes are usually registered under special topics courses and offered to the partnering departments/colleges as upper level undergraduate and/or graduate electives.

Thanks everyone for showing interest!