Factom Data Writers

David Chapman

Factomize
Thanks for the application.

A. Please correct me if I get any of this wrong. Your campaign is to run an Authority Node at 50% Efficiency and work on the Ethereum Anchor. You mention the work you do now for Factom but I assume an Authority Node is not necessary to continue there.

Is there anything I'm missing?

Hi DChapman and all Guides, thank you for your time and assistance. Factom Data Writers has filled out two server locations (Korea and Brazil) in the location document and have 4 additional nodes updated and running, as well as Terraform scripts created to build out the infrastructure in any geographic region that Factom requires. Our infrastructure-as-code will be shared publicly with the Factom community to collaborate on, in order for ALL of the Factom Federated Servers to be as hardened and production-grade as possible. We've also registered a Factom Data Writers thread in the Authority Node Applications Forum to answer any questions. We are also happy to max the specs on our servers to achieve the highest score possible and wanted you to know that we will absolutely do that for the mainnet servers. Could you please confirm that Factom Data Writers has provided all of the required application documentation. We are 110% committed to running Factom Mainnet Servers. Thanks again!

Last edited:

David Chapman

Factomize
Hi D, What's the question? Also, can you add me, Roland, as a friend on Discord so that I can DM you? Thanks
While I can add you for future discussions, we cannot discuss anything pertaining to this application process in private. It all needs to remain in this thread.

I believe you have submitted what is required.

My question was in regards to your application. I was trying to gauge if I understand what you are offering correctly. Based upon your post above, it appears I do not. Will you please outline all the current and future development work you plan to do to further the protocol?

Matt Osborne

Go Immutable
Exchange Working Group
Legal Working Group
We have operating agreements in place to ensure the sustainability of our grants to the Protocol Grant Pool, our continued development, and our operations.
Hi everyone. Could you elaborate on this? Thanks

Thanks for the application.

A. Please correct me if I get any of this wrong. Your campaign is to run an Authority Node at 50% Efficiency and work on the Ethereum Anchor. You mention the work you do now for Factom but I assume an Authority Node is not necessary to continue there.

Is there anything I'm missing?
Hi DChapman, Thanks for your quick reply. Just to clarify, Roland is an investor and advisor to Factom, but is not a paid employee. He is an advocate of Factom because he believes in it's mission, and yes, he will continue to freely advocate Factom regardless of whether he has an Authority Node or not.

Hi everyone. Could you elaborate on this? Thanks
Hi MattO and DChapman,

Yes, absolutely. Factom Data Writers believes we bring three main value-adds to the Factom community, that should be taken into account for our Federated Server application.

Initially, we are offering 50% of our Federated Server rewards to the Factom Grant Pool.

Next, we have extensive experience in building out production-grade, infrastructure-as-code, automated systems and networks. We follow DevOps Industry best practices, using modern orchestration, configuration management and immutable infrastructure practices that can be run against any Cloud Provider, which provision, build, deploy, and sync high-availability factomd instances in any region desired.

All of our work around our methodology of "scripting infrastructure" is open-sourced for the Factom community to collaborate on, specifically those hosting other Federated Servers. We hope to bring our knowledge of cloud systems, scripted deployments, and high-repeatability infrastructure deployment, in order for us all to build a stronger Factom network.

Finally, we are expert software developers specializing in decentralized networks, smart contract development, and traditional-to-blockchain systems integrations. Factom's roadmap includes a path to integrate with Ethereum.

We are equipped to design and build out a system that integrates the existing Factom infrastructure with the Ethereum blockchain. Such a system could save Merkle root hashes from Factom's current state into a Factom-controlled Ethereum Smart Contract. This project adds to Factom's credibility, as it effectively doubles the effort required for an adversary to perform a 51% attack to modify some blockchain state; both Bitcoin and Ethereum would need to be attacked at the same time.

To recap, we are offering 50% of our profits to the Grant Pool, immediately providing open-source code to the Factom community for defining and deploying Federated Server infrastructure best practices, and strengthening a relationship for future Ethereum development integrations.

Thanks,

Factom Data Writers

Matt Osborne

Go Immutable
Exchange Working Group
Legal Working Group
Thanks! Can you clarify this with past examples of working with decentralized networks and smart contracts:

Finally, we are expert software developers specializing in decentralized networks, smart contract development, and traditional-to-blockchain systems integrations.
Thank You

Hi MattO,

This is Adam from Factom Data Writers, and co-founder of Decent Technologies (https://github.com/decentorganization),

We provide smart contract services to projects in the decentralized space. Our past clients include Kairos, Polymath, Arcade City, Spectiv, Popcom, and Unchained Capital. We have provided high level systems design consulting, and also dive into full systems development, building the various pieces to tie in an existing business systems and interfaces with blockchain smart contract data storage and retrieval.

Our website is going through a rebranding right now... we hope to have it done next week. https://decentcrypto.com

Thanks,
Adam

Hi Guys! Thanks so much for your questions and feedback so far. Are there any other questions, or additional information that you would like us to provide that would be helpful for you? Thanks again

Niels Klomp

BI Foundation
Core Committee
Governance Working Group
Thank you for your application

NK01)
We plan on running hardened Ubuntu server instances and 24/7 availability of maintenance team.
Could you elaborate on the hardening techniques being employed?

Niels Klomp

BI Foundation
Core Committee
Governance Working Group
NK02)
You state to have 4 system administrators with a combined experience of 50 years able to handle the auth nodes. Could you break that down in years per administrator and only list real production administration?

Niels Klomp

BI Foundation
Core Committee
Governance Working Group
NK03)
Could you elaborate on your choice for Kubernetes (don't have to tell me what it is, we run several clusters; just why and possible up-/downsides)?

NK04)
Could you elaborate on how you will be handling auth nodes and Blue/Green or brainswaps within Kubernetes?

Last edited:

Niels Klomp

BI Foundation
Core Committee
Governance Working Group
NK06)
Could you describe your full deployment in number of nodes and types when you would be running 2 auth nodes?

What did you do for Polymath, if you don't mind me asking?
Hi Matt, Adam here.

We met the team at their Barbados office, spent a week working with them on-site (and then another week or two afterwards, via their Asana), while they were still fleshing out and beginning to build their Security Token system. Our work for them in this context consisted of some light ethereum/web3 integration, but was more focused on "thought work" with the rest of their team - _how to build a securities platform on ethereum_. We were being pretty classic business consultants in this role, helping their team think and work through key problems.

Last edited: